What Is Dia De Los Muertos?
Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the dead, is a Mexican holiday. The holiday’s origins date back to pre Hispanic time. People believed that those who have passed away would return from the dead on this day. On that day, people decorate altars with food, drinks, candles, marigolds (which are thought to ward off evil spirits), and photographs of deceased loved ones. Today’s celebration still include these traditions. But also includes other aspects of Catholic Church’s All Saints’ Day observance as its All Souls’ Day observance.
Each year on Dia de los Muertos families gather at cemeteries. They clean gravesites, decorate them with marigolds, pray for the dead and share memories about those who have passed away. Many spend the day preparing special foods. Such as sugar skulls (known in Spanish as calaveras de azucar), pan de muerto or sweet breads shaped like bones, tamales made with corn husks and mole to honor their ancestors. They also decorate their homes and churches with calaveras or “skulls”, candles, flowers and other items to honor the dead.
When Is Day Of The Dead?
Day of the dead is Mexican holiday that takes place on November 1st and November 2nd. It’s often called “the Mexican Halloween.”It is a celebration that honors the dead and helps their souls cross into the afterlife. The altars are set up on November 1st, but they would decorate anytime from October 31st to November 2nd.
Where Is Dia De Los Muertos Celebrated?
Day of the dead is celebrated in many parts of Mexico and the United States. The holiday has been celebrated in Mexico since before the Spanish conquest. Today, it is a national holiday in Mexico, but there are also many other places where it is celebrated with parades and festivals.
In California, for example, Mexican American celebrate Day of the dead with parades and festivals that include dancing, singing, food and drink. There are also altars set up in homes to honor the dead and decorate them with candles, flowers. And other items that have special meaning to the deceased person.
What Are the Three Deaths Of Dia De Los Muertos?
The three deaths of Dia de los Muertos are:
- The physical Death. The physical death is the first death that we have to deal with during our lifetime. This death refers to the end of our physical body when we die. Or when our bodies stop working properly due to old age, accident or illness.
- The Spiritual Death. The second death is spiritual death which refers to the separation between us and God after we die physically. Or become spiritually disconnected from God during our lifetime through sin and disobedience to him. This separation from God causes us not only physical problems but also emotional problems such as depression because we feel separated from God who loves us so much.
- The Eternal Death (hell). This is not an official death but rather something that happens after life has ended — when people are forgotten by those around them. It refers to the fact that the dead have no remembrance in this world, and it is the time when they need our remembrance most. In order to avoid this fate, we must continue to celebrate their lives through Dia de los Muertos rituals.
How To Celebrate Dia De Los Muertos?
There are many ways to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. From large festivals to small gatherings with friends. The most important party of any celebration is the food! For Dia de los Muertos, many families prepare pan de muerto (bread of the dead). It is a sweet bread shaped like skulls and decorated with sugar skulls and calaveras made out of candy.
Dia De Los Muertos Costume Ideas
If you are looking for some great costume ideas for Dia de los Muertos, here are some:
Day of the Dead costume can come in different shapes and sizes. You can dress up as any character from the flim Coco or even just wear a simple skeleton costume if you want something more subtle. This day of the dead women’s costume will make you look like an elegant skeleton lady. The dress is made out of a high quality polyester material. The design looks like lace but is actually quite strong. It has a corset type top that laces up the back and ties in the front. It is easy to adjust for any waist size. The skirt portion features layers of ruffled tulle that add an extra touch of class to this already amazing outfit.
For gentlemen, this day of the dead mens costume comes with a mariachi Spanish sugar Skull Print jacket. The jacket attaches with cuffs and red rose, It also comes with mock shirt with tie, mask red belt sash, sombreo hat, black pants and gloves. The mask is made of plastic and it has two holes for eyes, one on each side of the face. It also has holes for ears, nose and mouth. The hat is made out of straw and it has an embroidered design on the front side of it.
We also have two other costumes for men and women that will make you look like a sugar skull in no time!
Don’t forget the most important decorations spooky scary skeleton, shop this collection today!
More Things You May Wanna Know
- FANTASTIC Dragon Inflatable Costume for Halloween
- Most Stylish Blow up Unicorn Costume Collection 2023
- Turn Heads With the 32 Funny Inflatable Costumes
- 20+ Inflatable Costumes for Adults That’ll Wow Them
- 12 Must-have Inflatable Dinosaur Costumes 2023
- 14 Halloween Garage Door Decorations You Must Have
- A Comprehensive Guide to Inflatable Trunk or Treat
- 21 Simple Trunk Or Treat Ideas for Halloween 2023
- 9 Trunk Or Treat Themes That Really Kicked It
- 32+ AMAZING Trunk or Treat Decoration Ideas for Halloween
- Best Trunk or Treat Ideas for Halloween 2023
- Halloween Party Ideas 2023: Decor, Costume & Party Supplies [Ultimate Guide]